Friday, May 14, 2010

OK I am Hooked

OK, I am hooked on the idea of laser printing directly to PCB material (see previous post) for my HB projects.

Because of what I have learned by disassembling the HP LaserJet 1300 and looking at the possibility, I decided to return to REPC to pickup two other junked printers of (about) the same type. These two will be used to "experiment on", to make trial cuts for path modification. These are not the exactly the same as the target machine, but the print engines are about the same. These are HP LaserJet 1100's (I think).

I recently took one of the LaserJet 1100 apart to confirm the same print engine and found the "good part" that will be use to repair the 1300.

With time, I will start the process of cutting the "Fuser" baffles to help straighten the "out-bound paper path" through the back of the printer. Also, some cutting or modification of the in-bound paper path may be necessary.

Of course I do not know if this printer will even print on PCB material, once the paper path modifications are made. But I am hopeful.

Some of the attributes that I was looking for in a potential printer for this modification task, was:
  • Straight Paper Path (as much as possible)
  • PostScript Language
  • 1200 DPI
  • USB, LAN or WIFI
  • there may be others, that I have not learned of yet?
Mark is showing good progress with his efforts., he is the inspiration for my attempt at a similar "Laser Print to PCB" effort. Thanks Mark.


Now,  .  .  .  .  on to the cutting!

--

No comments:

Post a Comment