Sunday, August 23, 2009

Looking at other PCB Tools

I started looking at other PBC Layout Tools. In addition to DipTrace (so far) I have tried the following. I will include only the important points that I used to decide if I will use the tool.

My target production environment is Hobby Toner Transfer.

These are only my opinions.

I will update this as more points are noted.


DipTrace (Demo);
Notes:
  • Windows program, but runs nicely via Wine on Linux
Good:
  • Nice Copper Pour, lots of options
Bad:
  • Free copy, Limited Pin Count - 250
  • Part Lib is Extensive but hard to find simple things.

KiCad (Free);
Notes:
  • Runs native on Linux
Good:
  • Full Project oriented
  • Has a nice 3D Completed Board View
Bad:
  • Mouse Zoom is NOT smooth - only zoom multiples of 2X or X/2
  • Does NOT support Un-do!!!!

gEDA (Free);
Notes:
  • Runs native on Linux
  • Pads are associated with schematic at a intermediate step
Good:
Bad:
  • Copper Pour is easy to use, but low quality
PCB Designer (Free) (not started review yet);
Notes:
Good:
Bad:

ExpressPCB (Free) (not started review yet);
Notes:
Good:
Bad:


AutoTRAX (Demo)
Notes:
  • This could have be my favourite, but normal single layer auto-routing and copper pour is a must, maybe it is there, I just could not find it.
Good:
  • license is not expensive
  • seems easy to use
  • project structure
  • schematic and PCB bi-directional linked
  • easy to use library, did not check for completeness.
  • schematic parts and PCB patterns are linked in library
  • it looks like it has a nice 3D proto viewer.
Bad:
  • Free copy, Limited Pin Count - 250, but license is not expensive
  • Auto router used grid cross linked horizontal and vertical traces on two or more layers
  • Did not find a fast way to rotate parts like the space bar - but did not do an exhaustive search for hot keys.
  • Very poor copper pour, low resolution, no option for cross-hatch pour.


--

No comments:

Post a Comment