Saturday, January 21, 2012

OPERA Running on Ubuntu, It "sort of" Works

I have OPERA 1.1.6 . . .  "sort of" working on Ubuntu via Wine :-)

NOTE: The following has "Hung" the Ubuntu Gnome Display System, I had to ESC to command line to recover (ctrl-alt-F1), kill the OPERA process, and then return to the Desktop via F7.

CAUTION: Use at Your Own Risk

Two DLL's were needed; MSVBVM60.DLL and pdh.dll. I found them online, but was advised not to download from un-trusted sites.  I have a local XP system from which the files were found, and I copied them into the Ubuntu OPERA directory,

To make things easier, I change the default permission of the executable to "mode 755", with:

$ chmod 755 Oper*.exe

Then I ran the Install as:
$ wine ./Opera*Install*.exe

To run OPERA, execute:
$ wine ./Opera\ v1.1.6.exe

After adding my Operator Information and selected the sound card for input, the waterfall came alive with signals. The sound card was over driving the Decoder, but a quick adjustment to the Ubuntu Volume control fixed  that.

I was able to decode several signals on 10135mHz.

Sill known problems that I have not solved:

  1. The CPU Usage meter does not work.
  2. The CAT Rig control does not work for my FT-817, but Tones are created on the output as can be heard with a temporary speaker connected.
  3. Attempting to Set Configuration sometimes Hangs the Display System
Like most MS programs running under WINE, there will be a lot of WINE "fixme:" errors logged to the command line window form which OPERA was started, most can be ignored.

Maybe these problems will be solved by someone knowing much more than I.


No comments:

Post a Comment