Monday, September 5, 2011

A Solution for the Solder Sponge - Cont'd

It has been 14 days since I soaked my Solder Sponge with Propylene Glycol (PG), see previous post.

After being soaked, excess PC was squeezed out of the Sponge, so the test was started with a ready-to-use moist Sponge at my Solder Station.

After 14 days, the results are very good, the Sponge is still slightly moist, pliable and readily accepts water (or more PG). Normally by this time, the Sponge would have shriveled to a water-repellent cinder - the Crispy Critter.

Propylene Glycol is cheap, non-toxic, and is readily available as a pink liquid from the Hardware and RV stores, as Potable Water Tank Antifreeze.

I consider the lessons learned, from my previously spilled PG event, a success.

CAUTION, Do not confuse PG with Ethylene Glycol (a toxic automotive antifreeze) which ingestion can result in death.


No comments:

Post a Comment