Sunday, April 3, 2011

HB PCB 3D Models

With time and work, I have created a few missing 3D components (see previous post) for my current project as shown via DipTrace (Beta) 3D PCB Layout program. The difficult task was finding a 3D modeling program that was easy to use and that can write the correct file format that DipTrace uses for it 3D Display.

I have now created the missing; Headers, Binocular Core, Trimmer Caps, and Trimmer Resistors 3D models to complete my current PCB project.

I used the AC3D Modeling Program to create the components. Unfortunately, AC3D can not read the resulting saved files. AC3D can Export VRML-2 file formats (which I need for the DipTrace PCB program), but it can not read the resulting VRML-2 file.

It would be nice if AC3D could also Import VRML-2, so that the Standard DipTrace 3D components could be used as reference or updated. Currently, I have been also saving all of my new components in the native AC3D format for later updates.

I have used AC3D for many previous mechanical projects, but to be more productive here, I need to continue to my search for a easy to use 3D Modeling program, that can natively Read and Write VRML-2 file formats.

It is interesting how productive the new DipTrace 3D View has become. Because of the 3D view, I have been able to modified the layout, by moving components closer and therefore saving space.

Waiting the 6-10 days for my PCB to return from the Chinese Manufacture has been a little frustrating, compared to building my own HB PCB. But, building the 3D components to complete my 3D model has been enjoyable.



UPDATE:
I just received e-mail notice that my Chinese Manufactured PCBs are complete, and now in the mail, Woohoo!

--

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Would you be so kind and share 3D components you made. I`m looking for Trimmer Caps...

    Thank you,
    Ernest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Would you be so kind and share 3D components you made. I`m looking for Trimmer Caps...

    Thank you,
    Ernest

    ReplyDelete