Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ubuntu and the Brother HL-5370DW

A How To: Ubuntu setup for Brother HL-5370DW Laser Printer

Background

I have been using an old Brother HL-5250DN CAT-5 Networked Laser Printer for a long time, for my Ubuntu Servers and Workstations. But I needed a new second network printer for my shop. To be consistent and compatible I wanted the second printer to be the same as the first. But alas, the HL-5250DN printer is no longer available for purchase. The suggested similar replacement printer is the HL-5370DW, which includes the same USB and LAN interfaces, plus it also contains a Wireless interface. Good, I can advantage of that.

The problem is; the supplied printer documentation is for MS Windows and/or the Mac, nothing for generic use or for Linux style of computers.

I use the current laser printer for general use, and for Hi Resolution Toner Transfer prints which are use for making my Homebrew PCBs.

The Task

I wanted to set up my new Brother HL-5370DW Laser Printer on my Ubuntu network environment via the Wireless interface. Internet searches did not provide much help. But, I know that I need to set up the printer with a "static" network address, so that it's hard-coded address can be used with the Ubuntu Printer Spooler.

But, how do I start? What interface or address should be used for the initial configuration?

With little information available in the supplied documentation, it might suggest using the factory default IP address and/or the USB Interface to connect to the printer, details were very sketchy.

After much Internet searching and spending a lot of time trying many things, the task was actually quit simple, assuming a Wireless Router with DHCP is available.

This post is intended to provide others with an Internet Search result that should be helpful.

  • Ensure that DHCP is available from the Wireless Router (details depend on your router)
  • Turn on the HL-5370DW Laser Printer
  • Press the Network Init Button (via a small hole in the interface face plate on the back of the printer), this may not be needed, but it does not hurt.
  • Wait about 30 seconds, for DHCP and the Router to establish a network connection with the printer
  • Access your Wireless Router configuration, to list the DHCP assigned address for the printer (details depend on your Wireless Router)
  • Access the Printers Web Configuration using the DHCP assigned IP address
  • Use the available screens to configure the Wireless SSID and a desired static address
  • When the configuration is "saved", the printer will reboot and your browser will be redirected the the new static address, save and exit.
  • Now use the normal Linux (Ubuntu) "Printer Config" admin utilities to complete the set up using the static address of the printer

Note: as with all Linux print spoolers, a second cloned printer definition can be very useful. I use a clone (with only slight modification) that allows easy access to pre-configured Hi Resolution Option (1200 x 1200 dpi), as needed for use with the Toner Transfer (TT) Method of PCB creation. I use a third clone to provide Hi Resolution and Mirror of the print, again very useful with TT.

I hope this helpful for someone, or me the next time I attempt this again.

-

No comments:

Post a Comment