Saturday, August 20, 2011

Tin Platting Experiments

OK, I am in a little over my head, -- I need a Chemist.

To improve my HomeBrew projects I have been playing with Tin Platting materials and methods for my Homebrew PCB's.

For the last few week I have been dissolving Tin Sinkers in a small amount of Hydrochloric Acid (34% by vol), thinking that I want to create Tin(II) Chloride (stannous chloride).

There are several video on YouTube showing how to create stannous chloride with diluted acid and a current flow. Because it is stinky/messy and I am not ready to try that, I thought I would just try to dissolve the Tin in concentrated acid and then dilute as needed later.

So far I have dissolved 1 and 1/2 sinkers to nothing (the acid is still a clear liquid), the next sinker was added tonight.

The questions for a Chemist is:
  • How much Tin will a milliliter of HCL 34% acid absorb?
  • Does it become Stannous Chloride?
  • What are the other by products?
  • Please verify, the weight of the results should be the weight of the acid, plus the Tin, minus evaporation?
  • Does any of the Tin or Tin compound leave in the form of vapor?

My current plan is to continue adding Tin until it is no longer is absorb, and then the plating experiments begin.

Some of the web information suggests Tin Sulfate should be used to plate copper, but I think I read somewhere that Tin Chloride with Polyethylene Glycol will make a nice electric-less plating solution.

Note: Here is a interesting REAL TIME YouTube video, showing growing Tin Crystals in Stannous Chloride with 16 volts at 4 amps.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment