Saturday, April 7, 2012

Propeller Project Magic Smoke

I have been playing with my Propeller TCVCXO Frequency Master Clock. I am attempting to build the Huff-n-Puff circuit as previously blogged. I have made good progress, the TCVCXO is very stable and easy to adjust.

Jeff and I wrote a simple SPIN program to compare a GPS 1Hz pulse to the 80M clock cycles of the processor. An off Frequency error shows up as a deviation form the desired 80MHz. A simple subtraction displays the difference.

But then, . . .

I was making a few wiring changes to the protoboard and applied power - An audible Snap, and a faint puff of magic smoke was expelled from under the board,  and then the LCD went half black. . . .

I broke it  :-(

Now to trouble shoot the problem, but it may take a few days to get some time around this Easter weekend.

For now, My Beacon is OFF-LINE.


An After Thought

Maybe it was just the first Puff, . . . from the Huff-n-Puff working circuit ?

nah, it was real smoke  :-)

--

No comments:

Post a Comment